There are so many types of preservation methods that homeowners use and also by food manufacturing companies on a daily basis. Although, there are so many people who find these methods of food preservation quite strange, they offer the very best processes of preserving food and can keep food fresh for so many days. Many people confuse canning and vacuum unable to understand their uses. Truth is that both these processes are unique and totally different.
Both of these preservation methods have to do with the sealing of foods in a container however canning of food involves sealing by heat-sterilization to kill all microorganisms. This is the reason why there is no need to store or keep canned food in the refrigerator. On the other hand, vacuum packaging doesn’t sterilize. The food that is present in the container is not disinfected and naturally, microorganisms in the food remain active and hence the need for refrigeration.
Based on the reports of the USDA, pressure canners need to hold at least 4 quart jars and also need to have a gauge to let you measure 5, 10, and 15 pounds pressure. However, a pressure cooker comes in a smaller size and comes with one pressure weight built in. this means, you can cook in a pressure canner but you cannot can in a pressure cooker.
Featured Vacuum Sealers:
Below are the pros and cons of canning to help you gain a better insight into the differences they have.
- They are very economically because the materials used to make them are reusable
- Does not take too much space inside your fridge or freezer
- You will appreciate the taste of your canned vegetables
- Very easy to store
- Comes with a very high initial cost
- Requires additional equipment and accessories such as cans, lids and so on
- It cannot be used for storing meat
- Works efficiently only with large batches
The pros and cons of vacuum sealing are:
- Vvery fast for many stuffs that we eat because you get to cook and then refrigerate
- Useful for meat storage
- Capable of doing smaller batches
- Makes use of plastic bags
- Needs you to buy a vacuum sealer
- Needs you to buy bags